Skip to content

Major housing schemes in Worcestershire approved

by on July 10, 2014

Proposals for more than 1,100 homes on three sites in Droitwich Spa and Pebworth in Worcestershire have been approved on appeal. Communities Secretary Eric Pickles agreed with the inspectors that the local planning authority could not demonstrate a five-year housing supply.

Developers Persimmon Homes, Barberry Droitwich and Codex Promotions all lodged appeals after Wychavon District Council’s refusal of their respective applications, two of which were residential-led, mixed-use schemes. The appeals for Persimmon Homes’ and Barberry Droitwich’s proposals in Droitwich Spa were heard together at a public inquiry in January while the appeal for Codex Promotions’ proposals in Pebworth was heard at a separate inquiry in November last year.

The decision letter on the Droitwich Spa schemes said that the adverse impacts of the proposals could not “significantly and demonstrably outweigh the benefits when assessed against the National Planning Policy Framework”.

In the case of the Pebworth scheme the decision letter said it would boost the council’s supply of dwellings deliverable within five years as well as delivering a “significant additional supply of affordable housing to meet local needs”.

The Secretary of State also agreed with the inspector that the project would enhance the appearance of the site, land adjacent to a former metal works, “in a situation where it is difficult to see what other practical use the site could have which would generate the income necessary to secure its enhancement”.

Download the Droitwich Spa decision letter.
Download the Pebworth decision letter.

 

Due to technical issues this week’s news stories are published on the Director’s Blog. They will be published on the Planning Portal in due course.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: