Skip to content

Ministers to scrutinise neighbourhood plan area appeals

by on July 17, 2014

The Government has decided to scrutinise planning appeal cases in, or close to, neighbourhood plan areas.
The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) announced this move in a written Parliamentary statement last week.

MPs were told: “The Secretary of State is keen that all planning appeal decisions should reflect the Government’s clear policy intention when introducing neighbourhood planning, which was to provide a powerful set of tools for local people to ensure they get the right types of development for their community, while also planning positively to support strategic development needs.

“He is therefore keen to give particular scrutiny to planning appeals in, or close to, neighbourhood plan areas to enable him to consider the extent to which the Government’s intentions are being achieved on the ground.”

The Commons heard that DCLG had amended the criteria for consideration of the recovery of planning appeals to include “proposals for residential development of over 10 units in areas where a qualifying body has submitted a neighbourhood plan proposal to the local planning authority: or where a neighbourhood plan has been made”.

This new criterion has been added to the recovery policy of 30 June 2008 and will be applied for a period of 12 months, after which it will be reviewed.

“This does not mean that all such appeals will be recovered, but that the Secretary of State is likely to recover a number of appeals,” the statement said.

The number of areas that have taken the first step in creating a neighbourhood plan by applying for neighbourhood area designation recently passed 1,000. To date there have been 20 successful referendums.

 

Roger Milne
17 July 2014

* Due to technical issues this week’s news stories are published on the Director’s Blog. They will be published on the Planning Portal in due course.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: